How to Apply for your EBS Debit Card
The EBS Debit Card, offered by EBS d.a.c. in Ireland, is a versatile financial tool linked to the user’s bank account. Designed for the MoneyManager account holders, including Teen Savings account holders who are 16 years of age or older, this card facilitates a range of everyday financial transactions.
One of the primary benefits of the EBS Debit Card is its wide acceptance. It can be used both in Ireland and globally wherever the Mastercard logo is displayed. This includes millions of shops and ATMs, providing users with convenient access to their funds. The card allows for various types of transactions such as in-store and online purchases, cash withdrawals at ATMs, obtaining cashback where available in Ireland, and contactless payments. For online purchases, the card integrates an additional security layer through the EBS CardManager app, enhancing the safety of online transactions.
Benefits of the EBS Debit Card
The EBS Debit Card offers a combination of convenience, security, and accessibility. Below are some of the key benefits of the EBS Debit Card, each explained in detail.
The EBS Debit Card is accepted worldwide, wherever Mastercard is accepted. This feature is particularly beneficial for users who travel internationally or make purchases from overseas vendors. The global acceptance of this card means users have the convenience of using the same card for transactions both at home and abroad, eliminating the need for multiple cards or currency exchange in many cases.
Contactless payments are a major benefit of the EBS Debit Card. This technology allows users to make fast and secure transactions for amounts up to €50 by simply tapping the card against a contactless-enabled terminal. This feature is particularly useful for quick, low-value transactions, reducing the time spent at checkouts and enhancing the overall convenience for the cardholder.
Cash Withdrawals and Cashback
Cardholders can use the EBS Debit Card to withdraw cash at ATMs. Additionally, the card offers the option to receive cashback when making purchases at retailers in Ireland that provide this service. This dual functionality makes the card a versatile tool for accessing cash, whether directly from an ATM or as an added convenience while shopping.
Online Shopping Security
For online purchases, the EBS Debit Card incorporates an extra layer of security through the EBS CardManagerapp. This app helps to verify the cardholder’s identity, reducing the risk of fraudulent transactions. This added security is particularly important in the context of increasing online shopping and digital transactions, offering cardholders peace of mind when making online purchases.
Easy Activation and PIN Management
The card requires activation before use, which can be done easily by contacting EBS. Additionally, cardholders have the ability to change their PIN at any ATM, enhancing personal security and convenience. This feature ensures that users can maintain a PIN that is secure and easy for them to remember.
24/7 Lost or Stolen Card Service
In case the EBS Debit Card is lost, stolen, or damaged, cardholders can contact EBS immediately to cancel the card and request a replacement. This service is available 24/7, providing cardholders with continuous support and minimizing the risk of unauthorized use or financial loss in such situations.
Prerequisites to obtain the EBS Debit Card
To apply for an EBS Debit Card in Ireland, applicants need to meet certain prerequisites as set by EBS d.a.c. These requirements are designed to ensure that the cardholder can effectively manage and use the card. The key requirements are as follows:
- Account Type: The EBS Debit Card is available to holders of specific EBS accounts, namely the MoneyManager account and the Teen Savings account. This means that to be eligible for the card, an individual must first open one of these qualifying accounts with EBS.
- Age Criteria: For a Teen Savings account, the account holder can receive an EBS Debit Card once they turn 16 years of age. For other accounts, the primary requirement is that the applicant must be 18 years of age or older.
- Residency Requirement: Applicants must provide evidence that they are legally resident within the European Economic Area (EEA). This is a standard requirement for account opening and consequently for the issuance of a debit card.
- Identity Verification: As part of the application process, EBS requires personal identification documentation. This typically includes a valid passport or driver’s license. The aim is to verify the identity of the applicant to prevent fraud and comply with financial regulations.
- Proof of Address: Applicants are required to provide proof of their permanent address. This could be in the form of a recent utility bill, bank statement, or insurance renewal document, among others. The documents must be original and dated within the last six months.
- PPS Number: Proof of the applicant’s Personal Public Service (PPS) number is also required. The PPS number is a unique identifier for individuals for transactions with public service agencies in Ireland.
About EBS Financial Institution
EBS d.a.c., founded in 1935, is a small financial institution in Ireland that offers a wide range of financial products and services. Initially focused on affordable housing finance for teachers and civil servants, EBS has evolved over the years. As a designated activity company, it became a subsidiary of AIB Bank in July 2011. With 70 branches across Ireland, EBS provides services in residential and personal loans, savings accounts, investments, pensions, daily banking, and insurance products. Initially, EBS did not offer current accounts but now offers a debit card service in conjunction with MasterCard. EBS has also been an active participant in the Irish financial market, becoming a tied insurance agent of Irish Life, PLC in 2006 and establishing a wholly owned subsidiary, Haven Mortgages, in 2007. Despite financial crises, EBS continues to support Irish families in buying homes and saving for life’s milestones.
Who is the EBS Debit Card for?
The EBS Debit Card is primarily aimed at individuals who hold a MoneyManager or Teen Savings account with EBS d.a.c. in Ireland. This includes a broad customer profile, encompassing both younger individuals, specifically teenagers who have reached the age of 16, as well as adults seeking a straightforward and secure means of managing daily financial transactions. The card caters to those who value convenience in accessing their funds both domestically and internationally, with the added benefits of contactless payments, online shopping security, and efficient cash access.
Step by Step to Apply for the EBS Debit Card
To apply for an EBS Debit Card in Ireland, follow these steps:
- Open an Account: Ensure you have a MoneyManager or Teen Savings account with EBS. The debit card is available to account holders, including teenagers aged 16 and older.
- Request the Card: Once you have an eligible account, request the EBS Debit Card through your local EBS branch or via their customer service.
- Activate Your Card: After receiving your card, activate it by calling EBS at 0818 654 328 or +353 1 665 8080.
- Download the EBS CardManager App: For online transactions, download and set up the EBS CardManager app from the App Store for iOS or Google Play Store for Android. This app enhances security for online purchases.
- Use Your Card: Your card can now be used for purchases in-store or online, cash withdrawals, and contactless payments.
Positives and Negatives of the EBS Debit Card
- Global Acceptance: Widely accepted wherever Mastercard is displayed.
- Contactless Payments: Quick, secure transactions for low-value purchases.
- Online Shopping Security: Enhanced security with EBS CardManager app.
- 24/7 Support: For lost, stolen, or damaged cards.
- Cash Access: Enables ATM withdrawals and cashback in Ireland.
- Limited to Account Holders: Only available to specific EBS account holders.
- App Dependence: For online shopping, downloading and setting up an app is necessary.
- Fees: Government Stamp Duty for ATM transactions in Ireland.
- No Overdraft: As a debit card, it doesn’t allow spending beyond the account balance.
Fees and Tariffs
The main fees and tariffs associated with the EBS Debit Card are as follows:
- Government Stamp Duty: This fee is charged at a rate of €0.12 per ATM transaction within Ireland, excluding Northern Ireland. The charge is capped at €2.50 if the card is only used for ATM transactions and €5 if used for both purchases and ATM transactions. This fee is applied annually in January for the previous year’s transactions.
- Foreign Transaction Fees: For transactions made in non-Euro currencies, there will be additional charges. You can check the exact rate for different countries.
For assistance or inquiries regarding the EBS Debit Card, you can utilize the following official channels provided by EBS:
EBS Customer Service Phone Number:
For general queries: 0818 654 328 / +353 1 665 8080
For lost/stolen cards: Freephone 1800 440 040 / +353 1 665 8080 (available 24/7)
General Information and Services: EBS Official Website
Specific Information on the EBS Debit Card: EBS Debit Card Page
EBS CardManager App:
For managing card security and online transactions
Downloadable from the App Store for iOS and Google Play Store for Android.
EBS Branch Locator:
To find a local EBS branch: Branch Locator
For existing customers to manage accounts and cards: EBS Online Banking