In general, 1 Liter of water put in an electric kettle will take approximately 4 and ½ minutes to boil. If you use a gas burner, it might take around 6 minutes. This time will vary depending on various factors.
Factors That Will Affect Water Boiling Time
- Type of the appliance – Electric appliances take less time to heat up, and gas appliances take more time. The surface of the appliance also plays a key role. If it is a metal appliance, the water will boil quickly, but it will take more time to get heat up if it’s made of clay.
- Type of water – If the water is chlorine mixed, it will boil quickly, but water from a well or a river might take more time to boil due to mineral formation.
- Altitude- Due to low atmospheric air pressure in higher altitudes, water will boil quickly. Lower humidification also plays a significant role in this.
- Heat Source / Amount – If it is Microwave, Heater, Gas cooker, or Pressure cooker will play a significant role in the time it takes to boil water. The amount of heat that you will use for the appliance will also play an essential role in how soon you can bring water to boiling temperature.
Different Appliances and How Long Does It Take For Water To Boil In Them ( 1L)
|Appliance||Electric Source (Minutes)||Gas Cooker (Minutes)|
|Kettle (Built In Electric)||3-4||–|
|Kettle – Metal||4||6|
|Kettle – Clay||6||7|
|Jug – Metal||4||5|
|Pressure Cooker||4||4 1/2|
Why Should You Boil Water?
- Kills Germs – Suppose it doesn’t come from a reliable water supply. In that case, most water has germs in it due to contamination. If you drink it without boiling, you might get diarrhea and other diseases. Especially if you drink water from public water supplies, make sure to boil that water before consuming them.
- Better Absorption – Warm water gets better absorbed into your body, and warm water will increase the functionality of your body.
- Destroy Salt Deposits – Boiling water cannot destroy led particles, but it can destroy the deposit of salt particles.
How long does it take for water to boil doesn’t have an exact answer since it depends on several factors, as mentioned above. Still, we hope this article will give you a rough indication of the timings to expect on each appliance you use.