On average, an interior designer will make between 45,000 USD to 55,000 USD per year in the USA. The hourly rate will be between 23 USD – 25 USD.
How much do interior designers make globally will depend on the region. Generally, North American and European countries pay better wages for interior designers. On average in the UK, an interior designer can earn around 65,000 – 70,000 USD per year. An interior designer from Switzerland can make about 80,000 USD per annum.
|Country||Salary ( Per Year / USD)|
The above graph shows the significant salary discrepancy in several countries, Asian countries being the lowest paymasters
Skills Of An Interior Designer
- Creativity – This is the core skill that an interior designer requires. As an interior designer, you need to think out of the box to visualize something beautiful in an empty space. To master this, yes, you need practice, but if you have born creativity in you, this is the job for you.
- Strong Communication Skills – Interior designers need to work with clients. They need to have the necessary skills to probe and identify the client’s requirements and explain their designs and briefs to customers in a convincing way.
- Good Interpersonal skills – Interior designers must work with different parties. Each party holds a different interest level in the project. It is interior designers’ skills that will unify all these parties to make the final project a success.
- Good Planning and Time Management Skills – All projects are time bound, and though Architects and Contractors also take partial responsibility. It is the interior designers’ responsibility to deliver the project on time to the customer. Hence they need to have good hands-on skills in planning and management.
How To Become An Interior Designer
- Complete the Diploma – Certain countries allow you to start your Interior Design career from a Diploma. This will enable you to have an early start to your job. While you are in college you can follow the Diploma which will be between 6 – 12 months.
- Bachelor’s Degree – To be a qualified chartered Interior Designer, you need to complete your bachelor’s. During this, you will master your IT/ drawing/ analytical skills as an interior designer.
- Start As An Intern – You need to work as an intern for at least 2 -3 years to obtain the necessary experience before going on your own. For this, you can choose a reputed firm which you can join permanently after completing the internship with them.
- Professional Body / National Council Certification – This will differ from country to country. Certain countries require their interior designers to obtain national certification from the professional body before working as designers. You need to have sufficient experience gathered working as an intern to sit for these exams. E.g., In USA, you need 2 years of work experience to sit for the national council certification.
- Selecting The Field, You Want To Specialize – Interior Designing is not just designing buildings and houses. Lighting designs, Sustainable designs, Set designs, everything falls into the interior design category. As an interior designer, you have different options to select and specialize on.
After obtaining a professional license, you can work on your own. But to grow as an interior designer, it is always best if you can complete your masters. This will open opportunities in getting involved in doing mega projects, and more experience will give you consultation opportunities.
Being an Interior designer is an exciting job that has global demand. How much do interior designers make will solely depend on the experience and region and how good you can be in your craft. So if you want to be one,stop thinking, start now, work towards it.